The Place Where God Does Not Exist

A Christmas confession ...


                                        The Place Where God Does Not Exist


                                   Two castles stand side by side --
                                   majestic, beautiful, walls made of shining white marble.
                                   A lonely stroll in silent, cloudy dusk has deviated me from path of life
                                   to semi-dark narrow passage-way paved with ancient stone. 
                                   At the far end, there is cliff plunging into unfathomable depth 
                                   it's bare edge is adorned with a drying, leafless tree.
                                   I take slow steps towards other end --
                                   my past and future reveal themselves on the parallel mirrors
                                   like long forgotten, hazy video clips retrieved from God's archive.

                                   In a flash, the tree seems to lit up as if it is on fire --
                                   I run to get better hold of this spectacle,
                                   but soon it went out and skeleton of charcoal is left.
                                   No, it's on fire again ... I don't know what I'm witnessing ...
                                   The mirage drags me towards it as fire attracts insects.

                                   When I reach other end, some glow is still left on ashes.
                                   In frenzy drunken state I try to embrace it,
                                   the frail figure fails to endure my lofty longings --
                                   a devilish laughter swells inside breast as I fall into nothingness
                                   clinging spent-out charcoals near heart with childish satisfaction.

                                   I woke up with sweats all over body --
                                   managed to fall asleep on study-table,
                                   working hard on a mathematical problem in hot summer-night.
                                   It was raining outside --- I opened the window,
                                   monsoon rain swept inside and washed pathos from soul.
                                   Wish forlorn clouds could help me
                                   to send my thoughts someone far-away !
                                   

Annotation : Landscape of dream and the title is inspired from an episode in Orhan Pamuk's novel Snow (chapter-16).

Comments